Mysore Palace (Amba Vilas Palace), known
also as the Main Palace, is one among the major attractions of Mysore. Mysore
Palace, situated in the heart of the city, mirrors the bygone era.
The Mysore Palace of today is the fourth palace constructed on the same site. The re-construction of the present day Mysore Palace took place between 1897 – 1912. It was an English architect, Mr. Henry Irwin, who gave an aesthetic combination of Dravidian, Indo-Saracenic, Oriental and Roman styles of architecture to Mysore Palace.
The Mysore Palace is a three storey stone-building built with grey granite that has three pink marble domes. There is a 44.2 meter high five storey tower that dominates the palace. The domes of this tower are gilded in gold.
The entrance to the Mysore Palace is through the Gombe Thotti or the Doll’s Pavillion that has a vast collection of dolls that belong to the early 19th and 20th centuries. This section also includes the wooden elephant Howdah which is adorned with 81 kg of gold. The seven canons that are situated in front of Gombe Thotti are used even today to mark the beginning and the end of Dasara festival.
The Kalyan Mantap (Marriage Hall) and Diwan-e-Aam (Durbar Hall) that faces the south and Diwan-e-Khas (Ambavilasa) that faces the east are the prime attractions of the Mysore Palace. The golden throne, made of 200 kg of gold, is kept for public display only during Dasara.
There are many rooms in the Mysore Palace that are dedicated to portrait gallery, gallery of royal costumes and jewellery, royal armoury, etc. The paintings of Raja Ravivarma, Siddalinga Swamy and K. Venkatappa adorn the walls of the Palace. The Mysore Palace complex also consists of twelve temples in varied architectural styles which were built between the 14th – 20th centuries.
The whole Mysore Palace is lit up every Sunday evening, Government holidays and on Dasara festival from 7.00 pm to 8.00 pm.
Brindavan Gardens is one of the most popular tourist destinations in
Mysore frequented by tourists throughout the year. Brindavan Gardens was once
called as Krishnarajendra Terrace Garden.
Brindavan Gardens is situated towards the north west of Mysore, at a distance of about 20 km from the city. It is located below the Krishnaraja Sagar Dam, which is popularly known by the name KRS. Krishnaraja Sagar Dam or Kannambadi, which was named after Krishnaraja Wodeyar IV, was constructed during 1924 – 1932 by Sir M. Vishveswariah.
Brindavan Gardens is spread over sixty acres. The Shalimar Gardens of Kashmir was the model for Brindavan Gardens. Brindavan Gardens has beautiful lawns, flower beds, shrubs, trees and numerous pools and fountains.
There is a pond in the middle of the gardens, where tourists often go for a boat ride around the statue of Goddess Cauvery. Brindavan Gardens becomes a major attraction during the evenings when the whole garden is lit up with colourful fountains.
The Brindavan Gardens are illuminated from 7.00 pm to 7.55 pm from Monday to Friday and from 7.00 pm to 8.55 pm on Saturdays and Sundays. Tourists flock at the gallery to catch a glimpse of the musical and dancing fountain which is located on the northern part of Brindavan Gardens.
Mysore Zoo is a popular place of tourist interest. Mysore Zoo is
considered as one of the best zoological gardens in India as it is home to
diverse species of mammals, birds and reptiles.
Mysore Zoo was established by Maharaja Chamaraja Wodeyar, an architect of modern Mysore, in the year 1892. Mysore Zoo, earlier known by the name ‘Palace Zoo’, was limited to the royal family in its initial stages. It was later opened to the public by Maharaja Chamarajendra Wodeyar owing to its recreational and educational significance. ‘Palace Zoo’ was renamed as ‘Sri Chamarajendra Zoological Gardens’ in the year 1909.
Mysore Zoo plays an active role as it is involved in the captive breeding programme for the endangered species and also in other conservation activities. Mysore Zoo acts as an ‘orphanage’ to rear abandoned animals like young apes, calves of elephants and gaur, and cubs of tigers and leopards.
Mysore Zoo is also notable for the breeding of many exotic species like Zebra, Barberry Sheep, Emu, Giraffe, Kangaroo, Chimpanzee, Hippo, Great Indian, One-Horned Rhino, Sangai, Tiger, etc. Endangered species like Four Horned Antelope, Mouse Deer, Civet, Caracal, Chinkara, Nilgiri Langur, Ring Tailed Lumur, Binturong, Leopard, etc. are also reared and bred in Mysore Zoo.
Mysore Zoo consists of spacious enclosures, pathways and a veterinary hospital with all modern facilities for animal care. It also encloses Karanji Tank which has been converted to a mini sanctuary for avian species.
Located at a distance of about 2 km from Mysore Palace, Mysore Zoo is spread over approximately 250 acres. There is a battery operated vehicle to take visitors through the zoo which costs about INR 125. It takes a minimum of two hours to cover the zoo and tickets are sold from 8.30 am to 4.30 pm.
Chamundi Hills, one of the prime attractions of Mysore, is also an
acclaimed landmark of the destination. Chamundi Hills is located at an
altitude of 1065 meters above sea level, to the south-east of Mysore
The Chamundeshwari Temple, atop Chamundi Hills, is the temple of the patron Goddess of Wodeyars, Chamundeshwari, an incarnation of Goddess Parvathi. This temple can be dated back to the 11th century. The temple was renovated in the year 1827 by the Kings of Mysore.
There is a statue of demon king Mahishasura in front of Chamundeshwari Temple. It is believed that the name Mysore was derived from Mahishooru (the city of Mahishasura), which later became ‘Mysooru’ or ‘Mysore’.
There is a huge monolith idol of Nandi – the bull, at the Bull Temple, which is situated half way up the Chamundi Hills. The statue of Nandi, which is about 5 meter high, was carved out of single black-granite in the year 1659. The Nandi at this Bull Temple is one among the largest statues of Nandi in India.
There are also minor shrines on the way which are dedicated to Chamundeshwari and Hanuman. Tourists also enjoy the panoramic view of Mysore from the summit of Chamundi Hills.
Chamundeswari Temple Religious
St. Philomena's Church Religious
St. Philomena's Church, also known as St. Joseph’s Church, is a colossal
church which is over 200 years old. It was Maharaja Krishnaraja Wodeyar III,
who laid the foundation for St. Philomena's Church in 1933, on the site of a
small church built by his father. The construction of St. Philomena's Church
was completed in the year 1941.
St. Philomena's Church, which is built in the Gothic Style, preserves the 3rd century relic of St. Philomena in a catacomb below the main altar. The floor plan of St. Philomena's Church is based on the Holy Cross. The ‘nave’ of the cross is the Congregation Hall, the two arms are the transepts and the crossing consists of altar and the choir.
The idols of St. Philomena and Holy Christ are placed on the marble altar in the Sanctum sanctorum. There are stained glass windows above the Sanctum sanctorum with paintings depicting the birth of Jesus Christ, the Last Supper, the Crucifixion, the Resurrection and the Ascension of Christ.
The most attractive feature of St. Philomena's Church is the spires. There are two towers or spires that are about 54 meters tall, which resemble the spires of St. Patrick's Church of New York.
St. Philomena's Church is considered to be one among the largest Cathedrals of South Asia. Located at a distance of about 2 km from Mysore Palace, St. Philomena's Church has become a major tourist attraction of Mysore.
Karanji Kere Lake
Be among the nature, fresh green environment, cool waters and the birds at the Karanji Kere Lake. It is an immersion place for the Ganesha idols after the festival. Numerous species and breeds of birds like the wild fowls, peacocks, ducks, wild hens, pelicans and the Great Indian Hornbill can be seen enjoying the cool waters of the lakes or in the trees.
Ranganathittu Bird Sanctuary
Ranganathittu Bird Sanctuary is a major tourist attraction of Mysore.
Ranganathittu Bird Sanctuary is a small island on the River Cauvery which is
home to many indigenous and migratory avian species.
Ranganathittu Bird Sanctuary, located about 5 km from Srirangapatna and 19 km from Mysore, spreads over 57 hectares of land. Ranganathittu was formed as a result of the construction of a dam across the River Cauvery in the 1600s.
There are six small islands at Ranganathittu on River Cauvery, which in turn became a haven for the avian species. In 1940, Ranganathittu was declared a protected area by the Maharaja of Mysore due to the persuasion of the famous ornithologist Dr. Salim Ali.
Ranganathittu Bird Sanctuary is a nesting and breeding centre of birds like cormorants, white ibis, spoon-billed storks, open-billed storks, painted storks, white-necked storks, herons, terns, etc. Ranganathittu is also home to other species like bonnet macaques, palm civets, common mongoose, marsh crocodiles, etc.
Visitors can take a boat ride around the Ranganathittu Bird Sanctuary to get a closer look at the avian as well as reptilian species. The birds are found here in large numbers from June to October, which is also the peak tourist season at this sanctuary.
The Rail Museum came up in 1979 at Mysore and is situated at Krishnaraja Sagar Road. The Chamundi Gallery showcases the development and progress of the railways. You can see the royal coaches of the Mysore Maharaja at the Sri Ranga marquee and the very first Indian made steam engine. The children shall love the toy train that operates with battery and takes a tour around the museum.
Bylakuppe Buddhist Golden Temple
Melody World Wax Museum
Melody World Wax Museum is a one-of-its kind of museum showcasing a
collection of over hundred life size wax statues and over three hundred
instruments, all related to music. The models are shown representing various
kinds of music.
Established in October 2010, the various music settings represented range from the Stone Age to modern instruments and displays Indian classical Hindustani and Carnatic, Punjabi Bhangra, Jazz, Rock, Pop, Hip Hop, Blues, Middle East and Chinese to name a few.
Melody World Wax Museum is the third largest art museum in India and attracts people from all over the world. It is a tribute to all musical artists from all around the world. Tribal music and its instruments are also exhibited here.
A life size statue of Nalvadi Krishnaraja Wadiyar on the occasion of Dasara festival is a special attraction.
Situated well within the city, Melody World Wax Museum is easily reachable.
Regional Museum of Natural History is at a walk able distance from the museum.
Equally enjoyed by both adults and children, Melody World Wax Museum opens everyday from 9.30 am to 7.00 pm. Entry fee is INR 30 and a fee of INR 10 has to be paid for a still camera.
Tombs of Tipu Sultan and Hyder Ali
Tombs of Tipu Sultan and Hyder Ali, his father is situated in
Srirangapatnam, about 15 km from the Mysore City. Tipu Sultan built the tombs
for his parents in 1784 AD but he was buried there in 1799 AD. The tombs look
very similar to the Golconda tombs with an elegant square chamber with a
brick dome. The excellent workmanship is evident in the carved stone windows,
ebony doorways artistically designed with inlaid ivory. There is an ancient
mosque inside the complex.
GRS Fantasy Park
Visit the fun filled GRS Fantasy Park. If you are into water games then
this is the place for you. Age no bar for entertainment when you take the
rides of Amazonia. Amazonia is an interactive river with many games built
into it. While you are in the mood for sun and fun, visit also Fun Fort and
Regional Museum of Natural History
The Regional Museum of Natural History is one of the major attractions of
the historic city of Mysore. The Regional Museum of Natural History was
inaugurated in the year 1995 and it was devoted mainly to Mother
The Regional Museum of Natural History imparts knowledge about the flora and fauna as well as geological wealth of South India. This museum gives its visitors an opportunity to understand the ecological interrelationship among plants and animals and also helps to create environmental awareness among people.
The Regional Museum of Natural History has galleries that deal with different topics regarding Biological Diversity, Ecology, Conservation of Nature and Evolution. The museum uses models, audio-visual aids and thematic, interactive and participatory exhibits to provide information about nature.
The Regional Museum of Natural History is located on the banks of the Karanji Kere or Karanji Lake, at the foot hills of Chamundi. Somnathpur Temples Religious Nandi Statue Religious Jayachamarajendra Art Gallery Muesuem
There are no products to list in this category.